The International Symposium on Cultural Diplomacy: The Role of Soft Power in the International Environment
The International Symposium on Cultural Diplomacy 2009 will bring together a diverse group of participants from across the world for a weeklong program of lectures, social events and panel discussions that will look at the role of soft power in contemporary international relations. The speakers during the week are experts and leading figures from politics, academia, and the private sector.
The following are a selection of the speakers for the Symposium:
- Jorge Sampaio, UN High Representative for the Alliance of Civilizations, Former President of Portugal (1996-2006)
- Joaquim Chissano, Former President of Mozambique (1986-2005), Former Chairperson of the African Union (2003-2004)
- Dr. Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga, Former President of Latvia (1999-2007)
- Cassam Uteem, Former President of the Republic of Mauritius (1992-2002)
- Dr. Vasile Puşcaş, Romanian Minister for European Affairs
- Ints Dālderis, Minister of Culture of the Republic of Latvia
- Borys Tarasyuk, Member of Parliament and Former Foreign Minister of the Ukraine (1998-2000, 2005-2007)
- Dr. Erkki Tuomioja, Member of Parliament and Former Foreign Minister of Finland (2000-2007)
Further information about the Symposium can be found here.
The program brochure, including the timetable, can be found here (2.12mb PDF).
I’d like to be there but won’t be unless somebody decides to fund my trip. Any takers?